Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Wall

From the summer until this winter I have witnessed development and change from my own window. Some change good, some not so good. I used to have a view of the brook from my living room window but now I have the view of a tall, white obstructive wall. I am not the only one saddened by this addition but so is most of my village. It was an initiative I hear came from the Common Rural who is in charge of the area. People are upset about not only the aesthetics of the wall but also how it inhibits access to the running water that we occasionally need when the water is turned off for days at a time. The brook is used for washing dishes, clothes and collecting water for cleaning purposes. The wall follows the brook throughout the entirety of the village. It is double the high it was originally so that one standing next to it could not peak over the edge. The Common Rural then decided to paint it white, taking away from the natural look of our environment.
Almost every day for the two months work was being done on the wall there were arguments from the village folk who were protesting the wall. To add to the problem the men who had to camp out in front of the wall, in front of my house, appeared to have no respect for the land. They littered all over the place, and desecrated in what is my front lawn. As they were out of towners they also did not know who I was and would stare into my windows if I had them open and comment to me as I entered and left my house.
Aside from my own issues with the project I am most disappointed that none of the locals appeared to have been asked about this new addition. Two young men were also jailed in Meknes for it because they vocally expressed their disgust with the construction project and lack of respect for their land and environment. The wall has taken away the beauty of the visual element of the running brook and even the pleasant sounds of the running water.
People see this as just another example of the corruption in Morocco on the local government level. Many have told me that it is a project that the Common Rural could do so they can say they spent money on a project when in fact they will pocket the majority of the money for themselves. This is not the first time I have heard of things like this happening. In fact, I have heard this story all too much from so many different communities. When people stand up to these issues they get jailed, or put on a black list of sorts. It is your word against the authorities and the people’s word doesn’t mean much of anything. So the wall stays.
It is disappointing because the money could have been used for more practical issues such as the water pipes that have burst and are creating a lake in front of my house, or to finish the children’s center which was started a year and a half ago and hasn’t been worked on since I have been here, or the transportation problem that we have. It is difficult for me to have to remove myself from this issue as we are not and should not be involved in anything political but I need to at least make people aware of this corruption and clear violation of people’s human right of freedom of expression.

1 comment:

mother'sdiary said...

What is it with walls and people?Are they build to keep people out or in like the Berlin Wall or the current wall being build in Palestine. Then there is the famous wall of China and the Viet Nam Wall in Washington...the list goes on and on while people stare helplessly.