Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Rodents at night

I woke up last night with the feeling something was sniffing my hair. My room is so dark and quiet that sometimes I cannot tell if it is a dream or if I am awake. I thought maybe it was a ghost, that surprisingly comforted me but then logic slowly rolled in yet I refused to think more deeply into it. I settled on believing it was a puppy and dreamt of that for a while. Then again, something awoke me, I felt it. Something large was on my pillow by my head and what must have been its nose in my hair. I froze for a minute not knowing what to do. What if it bites?
I ran as fast as I could to the light switch and alas, I found nothing. I believe it to be a large rodent and it is taking up the same space as I am. At 4 am I found it nearly impossible to go back to sleep despite my drowsiness. I left the lights on, put on a movie, adorned my head with a thick wool cap and buried myself under my sheets.
What does one do when they find the rat I wonder? Am I supposed to kill it with my bare hands, or gently ask it if it would not mind living outside or in the barn next door. I am not sure if I can sleep soundly until I find the creature. I left a metal rat trap out with a cookie inside but I feel bad if it goes for the trick. The trap looks terrible and inhuman. And then, when I come home and it is in there, possibly still alive how do I free it from the metal jaws and where shall I put it?
Oh dear creature, I wish that you never stumbled into this house for we cannot be together but I must stay.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

hi, i was the PCV in becki's site. something similar happened to me on several occasions, but what i thought to be a rat was actually a large cockroach that (dont get too disgusted or freaked out) was hiding out inside my pillow. nothing like creepy crawly creatures to keep you up at night!

cortney linn said...

oh no! that is scary. i would think it could be possible it was a cockroach but i saw it the other night! so gross