Sunday, November 16, 2008

I can cook I promise

I’v been insisting that I learn how to kneed bread and that I want to help them but my mother just gently laughs at me and tells me my hands are for writing. I did however convince them that I could cook and I made my first attempt. A simple alfredo. I took a trip into Ifrane and searched high and low for the right type of cheese settling for the only package of grated cheese I could find. My only other option in the entire city was a block of Gouda. When I brought the package home my family was astonished at the package and it took a few moments to convince them that yes it was in fact cheese. Normally cheese is grated at home.
I went to work in the small kitchen and was being surveyed closely by my host sister, brother and mother who found it amusing that yes this young American girl does know how to cook. It was a little difficult trying to cook with them there as the sister refused to let me strain my own pasta or stir the pasta myself, afraid that I would burn myself. Luckily alfredo does not take a long time to prepare and before we knew it we commenced eating. I closed my eyes for just a few seconds with the first bite and briefly envisioned myself sitting in the Piazza of Santa Maria in Trastevere in Rome with a nice glass of vino. Luckily the family enjoyed the pasta and I received a round of applause at the end of the meal by my whole family.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Hi Cortney!!!
Your mom just emailed me your blog site. Very nice. I found this interesting. It's hard to imagine life in other countries being so different from the US, yet it is. I really enjoyed reading about your adventure so far. Now I need to go look up Turkish Toilet (LOL) to see what you are talking about.

Good luck and be safe.

Donna
(Auntie Arlenes Daughter in case you were wondering).

PS. I have your snail address and will write to you.